Monday, October 12, 2009

Thing # 11 LibraryThing

Library Thing could be useful to me in several ways. Number 1, I COULD go and put in all of my classroom library books so I would quit buying double copies of books I already have. Also, when I am at home working on lesson plans and there is a suggestion for using a particular book, I wouldn’t have to wait until I am at school the next day to see if I already have it on my shelf, or if I need to find a copy. That would have to be a summer project, I think. Looking through some of the groups, I came across a couple that grabbed my attention: Name that book and Children’s Fiction. My book collection is as eclectic as my music collection, so I’ll have to keep looking for a group for me.

Another feature that I liked discovering is the recommendations tab. It posts books that I may want to try out based on books that are already in my library. There is a “why” tab, and when you click on it, it connects books from your library to the recommendation. It isn’t always a good match, though. An example? Pure Desire: Breaking Free From Sexual Struggles was a recommendation from my books Living with Fred and Escape from Fred, which are books about a PK (preacher’s kid) that lives in Fred, Texas (near the golden triangle of Texas---Beaumont area). Interesting “match”, I think I’ll decline.

2 comments:

  1. One thing I try to remember is that all these things are free so sometimes the results equal to the fee.

    Mostly though things turn out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Library Thing for the personal aspects of being connected with readers of similar tastes. Big book talks on line - how much fun is that?

    ReplyDelete