Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thing #8: RSS Feeds

After exploring this for an afternoon, I decided I really didn't do too much out of my little comfort zone on the WWW!  I have my 2 or 3 sites that I shop from, the one local news channel website that I read from, and not a whole lot of everything else.  Blame it on the Library Resources page?  I use that an awful lot for lesson planning.  (Not to mention, I really don't like sitting in front of the computer screen for long periods of time usually...oh, wait, I just did mention it).  I liked how there is the "search" function to start getting some ideas of what I wanted to put on my Google Reader.  That was a good starting point for me.  Not that I needed anymore places to find recipes from, I added a couple of food feeds, and I found an interesting site for Elementary teachers.  Why did that catch my attention?  The article titled "Top 8 Reasons why Non-Teachers Can Never Really Understand Our Job".  (There are also helpful articles, such as using Hershey Chocolate bars for fractions...apparently the person who wrote this doesn't teach in Texas with the food of minimal nutrition issues!)  Google Reader even automatically put in the blogs that I follow on Blogger! 
I'll have to catch my hubby at the computer sometime and see how many of his Mustang websites he visits can be added to a Google Reader account.  This might be a great tool to help him keep up with all the Mustang cars and parts being sold and traded!
I can see librarians/educators/administration using this to help keep up with various classroom blogs easily.  I know quite a few of the teachers on my campus are setting up wikis to use for thier classrooms this year---can you put a Wiki on an RSS feed?  Or is that a completely different animal?

No comments:

Post a Comment